Military Affairs

Military Affairs

Patriots’ Casa, Room 202 | (210)784-1397

The Office of Military Affairs, located on the 2nd Floor of the Patriots’ Casa suite 202, assists military-affiliated students with matters relating to their education benefits. In addition, the university’s Military Embracing™ culture focuses on providing community programming for south San Antonio.

Courses at Texas A&M University-San Antonio are approved for military community training and benefits, and all students using these benefits (Federal and State) must be pursuing a program approved by the state approving agency. Students are encouraged to visit The Web Enabled Approval Management System (WEAMS) at  for approved programs.

We ask all those serving and those who have served to visit the Office of Military Affairs and if applicable, bring a copy of your DD214. This will allow us to serve you better by providing you information regarding events such as guest speakers and our Patriot Cord Ceremony.

The following VA benefit programs are approved for students who wish to further their education: Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill® Active Duty, Chapter 1606 Montgomery G.I. Bill® Selected Reserve, Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), and Chapter 31 Veteran Employment Readiness and Employment Service. General descriptions of each program are online at

Any student who feels he/she may be eligible for education benefits should review application guidelines on the Office of Military Affairs web page located at The completed application will be electronically submitted to the Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) in Muskogee, OK, and the VA will make the official decision to grant or deny benefits.

Students are encouraged to apply for GI-Bill®/Hazelwood benefits as early as possible to avoid delayed processing during peak times. Students receiving Federal/State education benefits will be required to comply with the university’s deadlines for registering and paying for their courses.

New students entering the university (who intend to request benefits) must contact The Office of Military Affairs and provide a complete certification packet relative to their enrollment and certification. Students must provide all necessary documents, which include but are not limited to: copy of the DD Form 214 (Member 4 copy), Certificate of Eligibility (less than 12 months old), official copy of the military transcript, and a copy of the Degree Works to process the request for their benefits. Incomplete certification packets will not be accepted and may result in a delay of benefits.

Transfer students must provide the Office of Admissions with copies of transcripts from all colleges attended. Additionally, all Military/Veterans should have their military credit evaluated during the admission process and are encouraged to request their Joint Service Transcript or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcripts. For more information, please contact our office.

Veterans should have military credit evaluated at the close of the first semester or upon the successful completion of 12 semester hours and supply the Office of Military Affairs with a copy of their updated Degree Works.

All active-duty personnel receiving tuition assistance (TA) must process their paperwork through the Office of Military Affairs. Individuals must apply through their branch portal for approval before visiting our office.

Standards of Progress for Veterans

A student receiving full or partial Hazelwood benefits must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA for graduate students. Students who wish to receive military/veterans’ education benefits and who transferred from another institution without the required GPA must come to the Office of Military Affairs before registering for classes to determine whether or not they are eligible for certification (benefits). The scholastic status of a student receiving benefits can be changed by attending the summer semester and meeting the same standards that apply in the fall/spring semester.

Veterans Semester Hour Classification

The VARO uses the semester hour classification scale below for graduates to determine a veteran’s payment. Therefore, the number of semester hours enrolled at this university will be reported to the VARO.

Full or part-time status for graduate students in the fall/spring semesters is determined by the following: · 9 credit hours is full-time

 · 6-8 credit hours is 1/2-time

 · 5 credit hours or less is less than ½ time

For summer and short terms enrollment requirements, please contact our office. For students using Chapter 33, the rate of pursuit is used to determine a student’s payment, not the above scales.

Hazlewood Waiver

To qualify for tuition and partial fee exemption through the Texas Education Code 54.203 (known as the Hazelwood Act), a person must meet all program requirements. Contact the Office of Military Affairs or visit the Texas Veterans Commission website at   for more information.

Additionally, Hazlewood can be stacked with VA benefits so long as the VA benefit pays less than 100 % of tuition and fees. A student receiving full or partial Hazlewood benefits must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA for graduate students. Please note that the use of Hazlewood must be reported to Financial Aid.