Student Records


Students can request an official transcript through JagWire. A student must provide identification at the Welcome Center when picking up a copy of a transcript in person. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, and amendments thereto, states that parents, spouse, legal guardian or others are not authorized to pick up transcripts of students unless written authorization by the student is provided.


All students, including continuing education students, should clear any holds they have on their records immediately. Failure to clear a hold causes delays and inconvenience when trying to obtain copies of transcripts through the mail or in person. Since a hold on the record may affect printing and mailing of grades at the end of the semester, students should be sure they do not have any holds before final examinations start. Students with a registration hold on their record will not be permitted to register.

Change of Name, Address or Social Security Number 

Students who wish to change their name on their transcript must provide legal documentation of the change to the Office of the Registrar. Not advising the Office of the Registrar of a legal name change may cause transcript request and registration problems. Students who change their address should likewise notify the Office of the Registrar, Financial Aid or Business Office.

Gender Changes

A student's official academic record reflects the gender the student-identified him- or herself as to the University when he or she applied for admission to the University. Students who subsequently wish to change the gender designation in their official academic record must provide the registrar with a certified copy of a court order showing their change of gender, or other legal identification, such as a revised driver's license reflecting their new gender.  Once the registrar records a gender change in a student's official academic record, the official academic record will identify only the new gender information. To request that your academic record reflect a gender change, complete and submit the Request for Name/Gender Change Form along with supporting documentation, to the Registrar's Office.

Preferred Name

Students may use names other than their legal first name to identify themselves, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name.  The university is required to record a student’s legal name and sex on formal records to comply with federal law for transactions to include: financial aid, medical documentation, transcripts, enrollment verification, admissions, and immigration documents.  Students may update preferred first names by logging in Jagwire.  Students who have questions about the steps required  to change to their preferred name may contact the Office of the Registrar.  Students who want their preferred name listed on their diploma must submit this information by the deadline for their graduation application.

While the university allows students to identify their preferred first name, the legal last name (surname) will remain unchanged and will be included in the preferred first name above.  Preferred first names are limited to alphabetical characters, diacritical marks, and spaces. The preferred first name must be an allowable format. Examples of allowable formats of the preferred first name include, but are not limited to:

  • A middle name instead of the first name
  • An abbreviated name (Rob instead of Robert)
  • The first and middle initials (A.J. instead of Andrew John)
  • The name of which you are in the process of legally changing
  • A name that better represents your gender identity
  • An anglicized name

Students may not use their preferred first name for misrepresentation or for illegal purposes. A&M-San Antonio reserves the right to reject preferred name requests that are offensive, obscene or that use derogatory language. Students are cautioned about using preferred names that could be considered self-aggrandizing or nonsensical.  While there is no limit to the number of changes that can be made, it is recommended only one change per semester. Exception for the policy (or for this limit) may be approved by the Office of the Registrar. 

Death of a Student 

The death of a currently enrolled student should be reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. After confirming the death, the Vice President of Student Affairs notifies the appropriate student success departments, faculty and college dean. The Office of the Registrar will be notified to close all student records, and codes the student information system to block mailings to the deceased.